• cms_block_content_7

Looking for a beekeeper! 10 Acres in Middleburg STILL available to host hives

dariankm

I have 10 acres in Middleburg and I am interested in having beehives on my property. I have an apple orchard that has never been sprayed with pesticides and the property has three natural springs that would provide ideal natural watering sources for the bees. I have hosted hives in the past, but the beekeepers eventually purchased their own farm and took the bees with them.   I am also willing to help with set up costs if helpful - for example purchasing a couple of hives and equipment. Please contact me if interested. darianmahar@yahoo.com 415-215-3817

Thanks for offering your property to host bees! There are many beekeepers who do not have the possibility to keep their bees on their own property and look for a place to host their hives. I started that way and was very thankful for a spot to put my hives on an organic farm next to a huge veggie patch. I have my own property now where I can keep my bees but still have an outyard where I keep some of my bees.

At this time of the year most beekeepers have their hives established and have already started to prepare them for overwintering. It is too late to start a new hive or to expand the apiary. Therefore there are probably not a lot of people around that are in need of a new beeyard. If you do not get any answers  from beekeepers regarding your offer at this time of the year it is most likely for the above reasons. 

This situation will change in spring, the main time of starting new hives and expanding. If you do not find a beekeeper who is interested in putting bees on your property, I encourage you to ask again between February and April of next year. The Loudoun Beekeepers Association's beekeeping class will be in spring, and there will be a lot of beginning beekeepers in need of a place to put them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1