• cms_block_content_7

new to bee keeping

kevin condon

i am interested in starting keeping bees.

i was a guest at the fairmont hotel in vancouver this summer and took a tour of their beekeeping on the roof!

totally amazing!

i would like to start in the spring.

what equipment  do i need to purchase to get started.

thank you

Kevin Condon

• Upvote 2

Hi Kevin.

Happy to hear your new found interest is beekeeping. It is a fascinating hobby. Beekeeping does come with challenges. As a result, we highly recommend that you take a basic beekeeping for beginners course that will give you an important foundation of information for which to start on and give your bees a fighting chance to survive the many biological and environmental challenges a colony faces today.

Loudoun Beekeepers Association holds an established annual late winter course.  You can find more information using the following link.  http://www.loudounbee.org/the-association/beekeeping-classes.html/

That classes fill up quickly.

Matt

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2017 at 5:02 PM, Bob Ragsdale said:

Treated all 18 of my hives today. The top-bar hives are particularly challenging in that I did not design them with OA vaporization in mind - an aluminum funnel does the trick.top-bar OA Treatment.jpg

Good day in the apiary.

Bob OA.jpg