Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation since 07/19/2017 in all areas

  1. 1 point
    Dear Loudoun Beekeepers Association: The Best Bees Company is currently hiring part-time beekeepers in the greater Washington, D.C. region, including northern Virginia. We are looking for beekeepers to collect data on about sixty beehives in and around DC, using a smartphone app that we wrote the code for data collection. Paying jobs for local beekeepers! Hiring immediately. Inquiries can be sent to our Regional Coordinator, Sean Smith (s.smith@bestbees.com, 617.445.2322) or to me directly at my contact information below. Thanks and happy beekeeping! Best regards, Noah --- Noah Wilson-Rich, Ph.D. Partner & Chief Scientific Officer The Best Bees Company 839 Albany St (Rear) Boston, MA 02119 Office: 617-445-2322 bestbees.com | Instagram | Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter Our affiliated 501(c)3 nonprofit research laboratory's website is now live! Check it out, at www.beesanctuary.org
  2. 1 point
    Hi Ash, Just to add a couple of thoughts - In Loudoun county there are not municipal ordinances regarding keeping bees with the exception of nuisance laws. If you do end up with an HOA I would suggest reading their rules/regulations carefully. Those will almost certainly have a section covering the keeping of animals and although they likely will not specifically call out honey bees keep in mind that in Virginia honey bees are technically classified as livestock, so depending on how that verbiage is written it may still apply if someone decides to make an issue. Regarding honey sales there are labelling requirements: Food inspection exemption is defined in § 3.2-5130. Inspections required to operate food establishment of the code of Virginia: It is unlawful to operate a food manufacturing plant, food storage warehouse, or retail food store until it has been inspected by the Commissioner. This section shall not apply to: (...) Private homes where the resident processes and prepares honey produced by his own hives, if: (i) the resident sells less than 250 gallons of honey annually; (ii) the resident does not process and sell other food products in addition to honey, except as allowed by subdivisions 3 and 4; (iii) the product complies with the other provisions of this chapter; and (iv) the product is labeled: "PROCESSED AND PREPARED WITHOUT STATE INSPECTION. WARNING: Do Not Feed Honey to Infants Under One Year Old." If you do not comply with the exemption or do not want to add the label above, you need a food inspection. See the Virginia department of agriculture and consumer services website. Basic Labeling Requirements for Honey Products – National Honey Board FDA guidance for honey labeling Hope that helps!
  3. 1 point
    Hi Ash, You do not have to have a minimum or maximum amount of property to start a bee hive. I have known people who live in townhouses who have bee hives in their (small) back yards. You will of course need to get approval from your HOA (Homeowners Association) if you have one. You do not have to be registered with the county to start a bee hive. You may however, be eligible for a state refund (up to $200) for purchasing a hive, although I think the program has been put on hold for now. Here is the link for that: http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/plant-industry-services-beehive-grant-program.shtml As for a license to sell honey, I do not sell honey and therefore can't answer that question. Perhaps another LBA member can respond to that. Good luck to you!
  4. 1 point
    Thank you, LBA. We were able to connect with a LBA member looking for a spot for their hives. The hives were relocated last night. Dan