Local Loudoun Virginia Nucs and Queens List
Loudoun Beekeepers Association (LBA) is making an effort to educate and encourage club members to create local nucleus (nuc) colonies. Below is a list of LBA members producing local nucs and/or queens. It is each producer's responsibility to have their apiaries inspected by the Virginia State Apiary Inspector for the current year.
Please note that availability of nucs and queens is seasonal, and quantity from small scale producers is limited.
Disclaimer: The Loudoun Beekeepers Association does not endorse any particular service or product provider, nor do we control their methods and business practices. We provide this information for the general public only as a list of LBA members who provide these products or services. Buyers should contact individual producers with questions regarding nucs and queens.
What should I ask the nuc/queen producer?
- Are your bees inspected annually by the VA State Apiary Inspector?
- Do you still have nucs for sale?
- What size nucs are available, deep or medium frames?
- How many frames in the nuc?
- What are the contents of the nuc's frames (number of brood frames, number of food frames, number of frames of empty comb, number of frames with foundation only)
- How old is the Queen? Is she marked?
- Are your queens mated locally, purchased, or both?
- How is the Nuc transported (cardboard nuc box, buyer’s box, producers box (to be returned))?
- If applicable, pick-up times and location