• cms_block_content_7

Summer Camp presentation help!

Robert Lloyd

Hello, my name is Robert Lloyd, and I work at Loudoun Valley Community Center.  This summer for the weeks of July 9th-13th, and August 6th - 10th, I will be leading a group of 12 campers aged 7-11 to several farms in Loudoun County.  The camp is titled "Loco Farms, and Destination Adventure".  I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of someone who might be willing to do a presentation to the kids about pollination, making honey, etc.  If we could come to the hive that would be amazing for the kids, but if you'd rather meet us at the community center, we can do that to.  Thank you so much for the help!

5 hours ago, Robert Lloyd said:

I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of someone who might be willing to do a presentation to the kids about pollination, making honey, etc.  If we could come to the hive that would be amazing for the kids, but if you'd rather meet us at the community center, we can do that to. 

Hi, Robert. You've certainly come to the right place, and what a great idea for educating your campers. We have several members who enjoy doing public outreach events like you've described, myself included. Many of us have what's called an "observation hive," - an active colony of honey bees in a portable hive with glass walls so the kids can see inside without needing to travel to an active apiary (bee yard) and risk stings or needing to wear protective equipment. I'll admit though, seeing children experience the wonder of an active beehive in my apiary firsthand and allaying many of their fears is far more rewarding than the sort of antiseptic experience of an observation hive in a classroom or auditorium. 12 campers is just the right size for visiting an active apiary. 

Anyway, my apiary (currently at 12 hives) is two miles south of the Loudoun/PW county line - about a half-hour drive for either of us. If no one closer and actually in Loudoun County chimes in as available please feel free to contact me at CGBees@gmail.com. I am available for both date ranges, afternoons are better. If you'd like a preview prior to committing, I'll be doing a "Bee Show" at the Leesburg Animal Park on May 5th & 6th from 1 to 2 p.m., with my own observation hive, videos, PowerPoint presentation, and informational handouts. Sadly, this date is too early in the season for me to be able to offer honey for sale. (If other LBA members would like to offer consignment honey, I'm happy to oblige.) This a commercial venue, and there is an admission charge to the Animal Park. 

I will also be doing a Bee Show at the Gum Spring Library in South Riding on Weds, May 16th, at 7 p.m., oriented towards grades 3-5, and again on Thursday, May 24th, at 4 p.m., oriented towards grades K-2. Both of these events are open to the public. Feel free to pass on the word or stop by yourself. 

To all LBA beekeepers, old or new, thinking about pursuing the EAS Master Beekeeper certification, you should be aware that conducting public outreach events such as this contribute to your chances of success. I'm not sure EAS certification is on my radar right now. I just love sharing my fascination with the honey bee with anyone willing to listen. 

image.png.64c9a1aa6a0f3ef88fdaee8afb9c597b.png