• cms_block_content_7

Bee keeper outing?

Shelley Shearer

Hello!  I'm working on a mystery novel and I would like my protagonist to have hives she cares for.  Would any local bee keeper be willing to let me come out, put on a beekeeping suit and be with them while they tend to their hives?  

Thank you!

Shelley

Shelley,

I'd be happy to have you shadow me as I work my hives. You can reach me at 703.965.6216 or CGBees@gmail.com. There may be other LBA members who are closer to you, if that's a consideration. My bee yard is two miles south of the Loudoun/PW county line, just off Route 15. April and May can be the most wonderful time of the year to work honey bees, and some sunny weekend day in May would work best for me. 

Even if you don't end up visiting my bee yard, I'm attaching/linking a few resources to give you some background material as you do research for your novel. 

First, I strongly encourage you to watch the amazing documentary, More Than Honey

One of the commercial beekeepers featured in that documentary is John Miller. The 2011 book, The Beekeeper's Lament gives his perspective on beekeeping and the problems honey bees face in the modern era. 

Ms. Rusty Burlew maintains a pretty good beekeeping blog here:
https://honeybeesuite.com/

The attached Beekeeping Basics, from PennState, gives some concise and accurate information about beekeeping that I would encourage you to reference if you have any questions while you write. Of course, pretty much any of us here would probably be willing to proofread any beekeeping scenes in your draft for accuracy. 

In any case, good luck with your novel!

Beekeeping Basics_agrs93.pdf

• Like 2

If Berryville is more convenient, my wife and I would be happy to show you around our bee yard and invite you  to partake in some hive inspections.

Mike K

Edited by Donna and Mike Kropotkin
  • Like 1