• cms_block_content_7

SEWAGE & SEPTIC SYSTEMS

Eric

Can septic systems with drainfields handle waste from honey operations?

Assume extraction and clean-up.

What special precautions are needed when disposing of waste from honey operations?

I would not put any wax products down the drain at all.  I do rinse out small amounts of honey with hot water during my cleaning up stage.  So far all has been good for three years.   However, might be best to call the septic company that empties out your septic tank for the best advice.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, George Forristall said:

I would not put any wax products down the drain at all.  I do rinse out small amounts of honey with hot water during my cleaning up stage.  So far all has been good for three years.   However, might be best to call the septic company that empties out your septic tank for the best advice.

Having lived on septic systems for most of my life, I absolutely concur with George's advice above. Honey jars can be washed out with hot water - no big deal, it's just sugar. I usually leave my extractor and strainer out in the yard for a day or so for the bees to clean things up after I steal their honey. But any wax products will clog up your drain field and your filter grids. Never cross the streams!

• Upvote 1