• cms_block_content_7

Italian Packages for sale?

375rgr

It might be worth noting that these will probably not be "local" package bees, but will be shipped in from Georgia, which do well for many beeks in our area. I'm not aware of anyone in our region selling package bees, but there are many who offer nucleus colonies (nucs), which it sounds like what you are looking for. Even then, ask your prospective nuc supplier where they get their queens from. 

8 hours ago, Bret Fisher said:

It might be worth noting that these will probably not be "local" package bees, but will be shipped in from Georgia, which do well for many beeks in our area. I'm not aware of anyone in our region selling package bees, but there are many who offer nucleus colonies (nucs), which it sounds like what you are looking for. Even then, ask your prospective nuc supplier where they get their queens from. 

Don't we have a recent supplier in Maryland...which is at least closer than Georgia?

I'm not looking for nucs because I've had fitment problems in my top bar hives. Its seems to be less painful to use packages. I would prefer nucs if i had langs. Especially nucs from locals who have generations of bees acclimated to this region. 

Thanks for the replies

I agree. Packages are the way to go with top-bar hives. Also if you want local genetics, you can always replace the queen that comes in the package with a local queen when you install or at a later date. 

• Like 1

Bob has also previously suggested that swarm captures are an excellent way to repopulate or start a top-bar hive. You will find a wealth of good information on swarm boxes here on the LBA forums. All beekeeping is local. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2021 at 10:24 AM, Donna and Mike Kropotkin said:

The club will be announcing package availability shortly. As every year, delivery won't be until late March, early April-ish.

Checking in. Can someone tell me how to go about purchases the club's packages? Thanks.

19 hours ago, 375rgr said:

Checking in. Can someone tell me how to go about purchases the club's packages? Thanks.

If you're a member you should have been notified by email and I believe there was an announcement up on this site about a month ago. I'll see if they are still available.

Mike