• You are an unregistered guest and do not have permission to access the private Loudoun Beekeepers Association forums or post to the public forum.

Sign up to be able to post on the public forum, or sign in if you already have an account.

If you are not a member of LBA yet, consider joining us!

375rgr

Italian Packages for sale?

375rgr

Hello,

I'm looking for anyone selling 3lb Italian bee packages locally in Loudoun County. Need 3 separate packages for top bar hives. 

Thanks

Donna and Mike Kropotkin

The club will be announcing package availability shortly. As every year, delivery won't be until late March, early April-ish.

Bret Fisher

It might be worth noting that these will probably not be "local" package bees, but will be shipped in from Georgia, which do well for many beeks in our area. I'm not aware of anyone in our region selling package bees, but there are many who offer nucleus colonies (nucs), which it sounds like what you are looking for. Even then, ask your prospective nuc supplier where they get their queens from. 

Donna and Mike Kropotkin
8 hours ago, Bret Fisher said:

It might be worth noting that these will probably not be "local" package bees, but will be shipped in from Georgia, which do well for many beeks in our area. I'm not aware of anyone in our region selling package bees, but there are many who offer nucleus colonies (nucs), which it sounds like what you are looking for. Even then, ask your prospective nuc supplier where they get their queens from. 

Don't we have a recent supplier in Maryland...which is at least closer than Georgia?

375rgr

I'm not looking for nucs because I've had fitment problems in my top bar hives. Its seems to be less painful to use packages. I would prefer nucs if i had langs. Especially nucs from locals who have generations of bees acclimated to this region. 

Thanks for the replies

Bob Ragsdale

I agree. Packages are the way to go with top-bar hives. Also if you want local genetics, you can always replace the queen that comes in the package with a local queen when you install or at a later date. 

• Like 1

Bret Fisher

Bob has also previously suggested that swarm captures are an excellent way to repopulate or start a top-bar hive. You will find a wealth of good information on swarm boxes here on the LBA forums. All beekeeping is local.