• cms_block_content_7

Nuisance Bees

Guest Vicki Fox

Guest Vicki Fox

How do I keep honey bees from coming on my property?  A neighbor has about 10 hives 10-15 feet from our property line.  The bees have stung, me, my daughter, and grandson. In addition they have stung many of our horses several times.  There is no barrier to keep them from coming over there but a 3 board fence.  It seems they are attracted to our water trough since I don't see any water close to his hives.  I've checked with authorities but there doesn't seem to be anything we could do but take him to court.  And we don't speak because he was under a protective order for molesting my daughter.

Vicki - Sorry for your experience.  Since bees fly there is no "barrier that can be erected to block or deter bees although a high hedge or solid fence can make the bees fly higher as they exit or approach their hives.  This "flight path" often keeps the bees overhead rather then at people height.  Depending upon the acreage involved being a good neighbor might be to move the hives away from the property line and more toward the center of their property.  Bees are atracted to water so your horse trough may in fact be a draw.  Your neighbor could add a trough to the opposite side of his yard or you could add another away from your horses.  Sorry I don't have a specific solution.

I agree with Frank, your best option is to talk with your neighbor, tell him the bees utilize your water trough,  then see if he can put a water source near the hives, or relocate them elsewhere on his property.  Otherwise just let the bees carry on about their day, they generally only sting when they or their hive feels threatened so if you leave them alone,  they'll do the same for you.

Edited by Jacob