• cms_block_content_7

Best Pollinator Plants

John Prots

Hello all,  I've been an inactive member of the LBA for a couple years as I approach retirement and take up beekeeping as a hobby.  I plan to set aside an area that's about 1/2 acre on my ~ 6 acre property near Centreville and plant a favorable pollinator plant that is both perennial and will flourish in northern Virginia.  I've read several online articles but wanted to reach out for your opinions.  I would plant next spring so that it's ready the following year.  Thank you.

John - it depends on how much time and effort as well as cost you want to bear.  I want to have a similar pollinator field when I retire and my goal would be all dandelions - a bee favorite, no maintenance and the sea of yellow would tick off any HOA neighbors.  But any "field of many colors" through annual/perennial wildflower plantings is a benefit.  No single crop nor just the 1/2 acre will sustain the bees but certainly a help.  The Xerces Society is a great place to start and they have some seed resources.  Other seed companies offer pollinator packages if you have the ability to prep your 1/2 acre lot.

• Like 1

Thanks for the great info.  I think I'll shy away from the dandelions though as it wouldn't be long before they invaded the rest of my lawn.  I'll let you know what I plant in the spring.