• cms_block_content_7

Need pest removal in home -- what is safest?

Weaver Beekeeper

Hi all,

i live up on Bull Run Mountain and just last week experienced a massive amount of large black ants in my home.  My husband wants me to get an exterminator to spray inside and out but I am hugely concerned about my thriving beehive. We also get a plethora of stink bugs and ladybugs as a result of living in the woods.  

What is the safest approach that won't harm the bees, birds and other wildlife?  Are there any bee-friendly exterminators in the area?

I appreciate a prompt reply to this emergency request!

Thanks!

Weaver Beekeeper

When working with a pesticide company, I would be certain to disclose up-front that you are a beekeeper and have an active hive that must be taken into consideration with their recommended treatment choices. Any good pesticide company will be well versed in honey bee awareness.

Treating inside the home will not impact the bees (might impact you!) :)

If treatment outside the home is limited to around the foundation of the home, I would expect exposure to honey bees to be non-existent unless there is something in bloom planted around your home. If the treatment is applied has a fumigant (I'm guessing it will not be), this is cause for concern over an injection or spray.

If flexibility allows, ask for a late-in-the-day treatment. I am not a proponent of closing my bees in their hive for any length of time, but this can be an option circumstances are such that exposure risk is increased.

In short, if the bees will not be subjected to aerial drift of the pesticide by flying or by drift engulfing the hive/flyzone, then risk is limited. Further reduction of risk would be to be sure anything bees forage on in the treatment area is mowed down or clipped.

I hope that helps.

I can speak specifically about stink bug treatment (which also appears to control the "ladybugs" - which are actually something else, but I can't remember the name). We had a massive stink bug infestation when we moved into our house 5 years ago, and a neighbor recommended treatment that involves spraying the outside of the house. It was amazing - zero stink bugs for 2 years with one treatment. When we started keeping bees, we investigated the chemical our pest control company used a little more carefully since our hives are on the property. They happily provided us with the chemical name and the data sheet and talked to us extensively about the application method. If you consider treatment, I suggest getting the same information - and reject any company who won't provide it. 

I don't have the name of the chemical our company uses handy, but it may vary from company to company anyway. The application method was the most critical concern for us, especially since we couldn't control application time. It is a spray applied to the outside surface of the house, and it dries within an hour. Bees don't forage on the siding, so I'm not concerned about contact after.

The day of spraying is a bit of a concern, because they tell us to cover or remove any furniture or edible plants within 30 feet of the house. However, by application in late August, we don't have much bee forage within that distance, and our hives are quite a bit farther away than that. I observed the application the first year,  and I think the "30 feet" is an overly cautious distance in case of accidental/incidental overspray or splashing, which I didn't see. Our patio and porch immediately adjacent to the house showed little, if any, wetness from spraying beyond 2-4 feet, even while it was going on. 

After careful consideration, we decided to go ahead with another treatment this year. The spraying was on September 1st. We observed no pesticide kill evidence in our colonies, and the full inspections of all of them in the subsequent three weeks have been fine - excellent brood pattern, no apparent effects. 

Our decision may not necessarily be that of other beekeepers. However, our entire house smelled of stink bugs when we walked in the door (I am not exaggerating - it was overpowering), and they were constantly flying at our heads, buzzing around the lights, and we couldn't leave fresh produce out. I don't ever want to go there again. We have decided to treat every other year, because the residual chemical and our regular quarterly treatment (to control the ridiculous ant population that was overrunning the house) appears to keep the numbers in check. Plus the cost...!

My personal opinion is that correct application of pesticides (and herbicides) in a responsible and educated manner is not antithetical to beekeeping. You should not have to live with the annoyance and potential damage of an out-of-control insect population in your house if there is a reasonable alternative.

• Upvote 2

W

We also were overrun with stink bugs and I had a company I recommend for termite inspections come treat. We did talk about our dogs, cats and bees and they assured me that all would be fine. It wiped out the stink bugs and haven't observed any effect on animals. We not have them come quarterly to keep the stinkers in check. Incidentally they told me that the most effective treatment to keep carpenter bees at bay is almond oil sprayed on affected areas. 

• 5 months later...

Quite informative post on services for pest removal at home. I am in search of amazing pest control services as I want to get treatment of bed bugs in my kitchen area only as found bed bug symptoms there last night. Searched online and got to know about few services. Hope to find best one soon.

• 2 years later...

Rats/mice can be a big problem as they make your house dirty and attack on food that can be harmful to small kids also. Pest control from the professionals is the best option for these types of problems. Experts like pest control Rodents Roseville CA lay down the traps which help is catching the rats. These traps must be placed carefully and must be kept away from kids and pets. They are experienced enough to help us out and make our home a happy and healthy place again.