• cms_block_content_7

Hives Wanted!

Bee Land

Hi again!  Forgot one important thing.  We have a vineyard across the road that doesn't use chemical sprays.  We have lavender and will plant more lavender, thyme and roses.               Would love to have bees!  Thanks!

Bee Land,

Thank you for contacting LBA about having some honey bee hives on your property. Many of our member beekeepers are looking for opportunities to establish colonies of honey bees at "out yards" such as yours since they lack the necessary space on their own property. It's great that you thought to mention the vineyard and that they don't use chemical sprays. Beekeepers are keenly interested in the area surrounding their hives, especially the first mile and a half radius that bees typically forage for pollen and nectar. 

You might be reluctant to post the address of the property here, but identifying a nearby road junction would help those who might be interested to determine if it would be within range of their own home. Also, please understand that the beekeeper would need nearly unlimited access to that property in order to maintain and monitor the health of the bees. 

If one of your objectives is to gain some tax relief under the Loudoun County Land Use Program that should also be discussed. 

As you may have noticed on our LBA website, all our meetings are open to the public. Please stop by sometime and talk to some of us about your interest in bees. This coming weekend we're also hosting an informal open house for new beekeepers who will be attending our classes. There will be several experienced beekeepers on hand hosting displays of beekeeping equipment. I encourage you to attend just to check things out and ask a few questions. We beekeepers love to talk about bees!

Open House Date: Saturday, February 11, 2017, 10am-1pm
Location: Loudoun County Extension Office classroom, 30 Catoctin Circle SE, Leesburg, VA, 20175

Good luck in your quest for a beekeeper in need of a place to keep more honey bees.

Edited by Bret Fisher
  • Upvote 4

Thank you so much for your warm welcome, Bret.  The closest intersection is Thomas Mill and Canby.  Land Use is of interest.  Although we stall a couple of horses on the other end of the land, it would be nice to have a second use in case of empty stalls.  We have 3 gates on the land.  The gate at the bottom of the land would be perfect easy access to where we think it would be nice for the hives, but would need the bee expert to decide.  Selfishly, I'd love bees for my lavender and plants as well as our neighbors vineyard.  They've gone no chemical with the help of a French lady hired to guide them.  And our other reason, I've been hearing of the peril of the honeybee for years and would love to be able to give the bees a helping hand.

I appreciate your invite to the meeting.  The meeting about 5 minutes from the house and I would very much like to meet some bee friendly folks!

It looks like the property is near here:

https://goo.gl/6eJWqA

I'm guessing the Casanel Vineyards & Winery is the vineyard you are near. It's my understanding that honey bees are not necessary for the successful pollination of grapes, but all involved can still benefit:
http://ediblemarinandwinecountry.ediblecommunities.com/food-thought/vineyard-health-depends-on-bees

We look forward to meeting you at this weekend's open house or at a future club meeting at the fairgrounds. 

• 2 months later...

Hello Bee Land!

Are you still looking for a beekeeper to work with to place hives on your property? I have a few established/new hives that could use a new home. You can reply here, or email me at enviromt4@gmail.com if you're interested. 

Best, 

Ashley

Hi Ashley,

I'm interested in you checking out our place to see if it would work for you.  My phone number is sent by email to you.

Regards,

Julia

On 4/12/2017 at 4:26 PM, envirobee said:

I have a few established/new hives that could use a new home.

Ashley,

There is also a 300 acre property just north of Aldie, VA that was wanting to host a couple of bee hives. I surveyed the property last fall. It's a great location, but something I just cannot do right now. Address is Mount Pleasant Farm, 22332 Oatlands Rd, Aldie, VA 20105. I'll send their contact info to your email and let them know you may be contacting them. 

This is barely two miles as the bee flies from LBA VP Jim Stephens' place on Route 50. Jim, if you're looking for a nearby out yard this might be of interest.  @Jim Stephens It would be a great location to add some drone bank colonies for a queen rearing operation. 

4 hours ago, Bret Fisher said:

This is barely two miles as the bee flies from LBA VP Jim Stephens' place on Route 50. Jim, if you're looking for a nearby out yard this might be of interest. 

This is 3.6 miles from my primary yard off New Mountain Road.

• 2 weeks later...

@Mei, this is the one I was telling you about that's off Canby near Dry Mill.  I'm trying not to commit to too many outyards this year, but if you're looking for a place that's not as far as Mt. Weather, it might be a good option!

Bonnie

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Olin said:

I one small hive (3 crowded medium boxes that I need to split). Do you have space?

olin@filyaw.net

Olin, I've sent an email regarding your split. This is likely from the overwintered nucleus colony you purchased from me last year, so that's good news as far as colony health goes. If your location does not allow you to expand your operation, you have the  option of just allowing this strong, overwintered colony to swarm and raise a new queen. 

Please call if you'd like to  discuss your bee situation. 

Bret Fisher
CGBees@gmail.com

Thanks, Bonnie!  It looks like some others are interested and I'm setting up a spot in Middleburg right now, too.  I have another request for Middleburg, so I might just go with those two instead of heading over to Canby.  Thank you for the poke, though!

--Ruth

• 9 months later...
Guest Brendabuzz

Yes, I am interested if our property fits your requirements for having hives placed here. We are in Lovettsville Va. 20180 and have a section of unused woods that is fenced off from our yard sitting next to an open meadow. 

Brenda Buzzell

New site in Bluemont:   On behalf of the owner,  I am posting notice for a very nice property available for hives in Bluemont.  The property is near the Great Country Farm area on Foggy Bottom Road.  The owner has a nice apple orchard and 22 acres (two ponds, pasture,  and wooded areas on th perimeter).  

21 minutes ago, Joyce Forman said:

New site in Bluemont:   On behalf of the owner,  I am posting notice for a very nice property available for hives in Bluemont.  The property is near the Great Country Farm area on Foggy Bottom Road.  The owner has a nice apple orchard and 22 acres (two ponds, pasture,  and wooded areas on th perimeter).  

Is that the one that contacted me? 

When I talked to that lady she mentioned something about having a bee allergy. Anyone who considers keeping bees on this site should talk to her about this topic.

Edited by Kristina

Kristina, I asked her about the allergy.  She told me that in the past she had been stung by multiple yellow jackets that went up her pant leg.  Her entire leg was swollen for a couple of weeks.  She was told that a future sting could be systemic.  She doesn’t have a known allergy to honey bee venom (unless it the same as thr venom of yellow jackets?).   

Basically, she wants hives but does not want to manage them herself.  

• 1 month later...

Hi, Bee world!  I have a 9 acre farm that is all pasture (grasses, clover, wild flowers) surrounded by 100 acres of pasture and crop land.  We also have a pond on the property and a creek nearby.  I am interested in hosting an outyard in support of the bees and for land use.  We are located midway between Snickersville and 50 on St Louis Rd.  Please contact me at gunfighter55@gmail.com if you have interest!